A damn fine year


2013 is over, and wow what a great year I have had. I feel really honoured to be able to reflect on such fascinating experiences and I am massively thankful to everyone who has given me opportunities along the way. It has definitely been my best year yet, by far, with my camera leading me to many amazing places and to meet many amazing people...



Personal Work

Brits Abroad

Simon Williams - from the new project @ brits-abroad.com

When it comes to personal work 2013 for me has been about starting my Brits Abroad project. Producing a large body of work like this is a fascinating experience and it was wonderful to be completely immersed in the lives of those who I photographed and discover the challenges and joys that immigrants face in a new country. 

Linda Hutchence - A Brit Abroad
Francesca Sadlier - A Brit Abroad
Paul Campbell - A Brit Abroad
Carole Hesketh-Smith - A Brit Abroad

I'm really proud to say that the project has so far been featured in the following places:
Fingers crossed in 2014 I will be able to expand the project to other countries and include a wider selection of British people who live abroad.

See more from the project here: brits-abroad.com




Commissions


The Sunday Times Magazine: Clare Foges in 10 Downing Street


Clare Foges, David Cameron's speech-writer photographed in 10 Downing Street, London

Top of the list of coolest places to visit this year has been 10 Downing Street. The Sunday Times Magazine sent me to photograph the lovely Clare Foges, David Cameron's speech writer and I was allowed a decent couple of hours scouting around this amazing building and photographing Clare in a variety of places. It was an honour to be sent on this commission, plus there is a possibility you might see me collaborating with Clare in 2014, but I can't say anything more yet...

British Airways Business Life: Sugru on the ceiling

Jane NĂ­ Dhulchaointigh upside down

My most republished photograph of the year was from a photoshoot with Jane who is the founder and inventor of an awesome sticky substance called Sugru. She was great letting me dangle her from the ceiling. Following on from photographing Jane for British Airways Business Life magazine the photographs have also been published in other magazine in the UK such as Libertine, but has also gone international in both Germany (Business Punk) and next month in Italy (Elle Decor).
You can see how we stuck Jane to the ceiling in a behind the scenes video here: LINK

Healthy Magazine

I continue to work with Healthy magazine regularly and enjoy the trust the editorial staff give me to be creatively free. Here are a couple of examples from my work with them:


_MG_0256-Edit
Jean Henry is 105 years old and lives by herself in North London. I photographed her for a feature about ageing gracefully. See more: LINK

The Survivor Birds are a trio of three amazing women who have all survived life-threatening illnesses and now promote embracing life to the full. See more: LINK

Crew Clothing

Ben Fogle

I have also continued to work with the lovely people at Crew Clothing, including photographing some of the people they work with closely to help promote their brand. This included their newest ambassador Ben Fogle who I had five minutes with at an event in London to capture the adventurer's personality.



Other bits


Sarah Baskcomb said lovely things about working with me



The creative and inspiring Sarah Baskcomb, who I have worked with on many projects at Crew Clothing, talked about my approach to photography. She was wonderfully honest and said some really lovely things. Do take a moment to check out the video: LINK

Fifteen Magazine Covers




I have just done a count and I believe my images appeared on 15 magazine covers this year, amazing. I have done a lot of work with the fine people at Archant, regularly doing cover shoots for them. My photographs have also been used by Wardour and The River Group on covers of magazines they produce. It's always great to see your photograph all shiny on the cover of a magazine.



Thanks

A huge thanks to all the picture editors, art directors, art buyers, designers and editors who keep believing in me and sending fascinating assignments my way. It is a pleasure to work with you all.

Also massive thanks to everyone I worked with over the last year: from assistants to make up artists, and stylists to producers, I couldn't have done any of it without you.

It is also impossible to do this without family and friends, so thank you to those closest to me for all your help. In particular my biggest thanks has to go to Olga for supporting me through everything and telling me that a few of my ideas are in fact good ones. Here she is looking beautiful as always:

_MG_0053-Edit



Which leaves me looking forward to 2014, bring it on! I cannot wait to see what is in store for me...

--------------------
Visit my website
Follow me on twitter
Follow me on facebook

Labels: , , , , , , ,